Bolgatanga, Sept. 18, GNA – The Mobile Telecommunications Network (MTN) Ghana Foundation has presented 5,700 pieces of face masks to the Upper East Regional hospital in Bolgatanga and the Bongo District hospital to support the ongoing fight against COVID-19 in the Region.
The donation was part of MTN’s campaign dubbed: “Wear it for me” which is intended to create awareness about the need for members of the public to wear face masks as one of the Ghana Health Service’s safety protocols to curb the spread of the virus.
The Regional hospital, which is the major referral centre for the Region, received 3, 000 pieces of the face masks, while the Bongo District hospital received 2, 700 pieces.
Presenting the face masks to the management of the hospital, Mr Richard Asamane, the Upper East Regional Sales Manager of MTN Ghana, noted that the gesture by his outfit would limit the negative impact of the global pandemic, which had massively affected businesses.
He said the donation was done across all 16 Regions of Ghana and about 88, 000 pieces of face masks were donated across 30 health facilities in the country.
Dr Samuel Aborah, the Acting Medical Director of the Regional hospital, who received the items on behalf of management and staff, expressed gratitude to MTN Ghana Foundation for the support.
He said the hospital was the treatment centre for COVID-19 cases in the Region and it had helped in the management of the cases since it recorded its first case of the virus.
“So far, we have managed about 230 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with one recorded death,” Dr Aborah, who is also the Clinical Coordinator of the hospital, said.
He said government, non-governmental organisations, philanthropists and other benevolent individuals had over the months supported the facility with some Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for service delivery.
“What you have brought will augment what we have, to be able to respond adequately to the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. We will make sure that the frontline workers use them judiciously to achieve the intended purpose.”
Dr Aborah entreated members of the public to continue to observe the COVID-19 safety protocols, stressing “the virus is still with us even though for about a month now we have not recorded any confirmed case of COVID-19.”